Thursday, June 07, 2007

How an 8th Grade Science Teacher and His Bunny Really Messed Up My Day


Today is the last day of school for Mason and all her friends. We've started summer!

A lot of the normal things happened with the end of the school year; cleaning out the locker, rowdiness, saying goodbye to teachers and friends, signing yearbooks - oh, and giving away the classroom pets. This year, there were leeches (yuck), snails and a bunny.

For those of you who don't know, we have a houseful of pets. Daisy, Lily, Murphy, Stephanie and several aquatic creatures. The last thing we need is another furry friend in our home (at least that's my opinion, Mason thinks differently). Apparently, a science teacher at school has a bunny that he no longer wants, so he offered it up for grabs. At least he had the sense to require parental authorization. Maybe he just needs a home improvement loan? On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - Mason attempted to get that authorization from me. It all started out nicely, "Papa, can we get a bunny?" to which I replied, "No, we're not getting a bunny." Variations of this exchange went on for three days!

Normally, Mason and I agree. I've found it's just easier this way and neither of us ever asks for things that the other finds too difficult to accommodate - but I feel very strongly about this, we aren't getting a bunny. This disagreement really took its toll on us. I think we both spent more tears on this subject than any other in the past few months combined. Mason, is, of course, upset because she feels very strongly about "getting this bunny" and I was upset for causing her to be upset. It's no secret that I dote on her. I love her and want her to have everything, but I just can't have the responsibility of another pet.

In the end, other than some hurt feelings, we're OK. Things seem to be back to normal, whatever that is? Jenny, I hope you would approve. I sure do miss you.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hey Matt
We have plenty of bunnies here in our yard. http://the-cookie-mom.blogspot.com/
They are not as cute but we would like to just keep them out of our yard.